|2018 Bursary Categories|
2018 Commerce Bursaries
2018 Accounting Bursaries
2018 Agricultural Science Bursaries
2018 Computer Science & IT Bursaries
2018 Construction & Built Bursaries
|2018 Drama Bursaries|
2018 Education Bursaries
2018 Engineering Bursaries
2018 General Bursaries
2018 Government Bursaries
2018 Law Bursaries
|2018 Marketing Bursaries|
2018 Masters Bursaries
2018 Media Bursaries
2017 Medical Bursaries
2018 Music & Performing Arts Bursaries
2018 Nursing Bursaries
|2018 Pharmacy Bursaries|
2018 Postgraduate Bursaries
2018 Psychology Bursaries
2018 Safety Management Bursaries
2018 Science Bursaries
2018 Tourism Bursaries
VLIR-UOS awards scholarships to applicants from eligible countries (including South Africa) to attend one of the selected trainings or Master’s degree programmes taught in English at Belgian (Flemish) universities or university colleges, covering all related expenses.
The International Master Programmes are accredited programmes of one or two years on a development-relevant subject. The programmes have a specific but non-exclusive focus on participants from developing countries, to whose specific needs the teaching methods are adapted and to a number of which VLIR-UOS awards scholarships for the duration of the programme.
The International Training Programmes are short- or medium term, intensive, interactive, and applicable trainings, targeting participants from developing countries with relevant professional experience in the topic of the programme and who have the possibility to transfer and thus multiply the obtained knowledge and skills to a wider audience in the home country. VLIR-UOS provides a limited number of scholarships in order to facilitate the participation of the targeted participants.
Fields of Study and Deadlines
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Deadlines vary depending on the programmes:
Master programmes (Academic year 2018-2019)
Master of Human Settlements – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2018
Master of Development Evaluation and Management – Deadline for applications: 4 February 2018
Master of Governance and Development – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2018
Master of Globalization and Development – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2018
Master of Cultural Anthropology and Development Studies – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2018
Master of Science in Food Technology – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2018
Master of Aquaculture (IMAQUA) – Deadline for applications: 1 March 2018
Master of Epidemiology – Deadline for applications: 15 February 2018
Master of Rural Development – Deadline for applications: 1 March 2018
Master of Statistics – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2018
Master of Water Resources Engineering – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2018
Master of Sustainable Territorial Development – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2018
Master of Transportation Sciences and Road Safety in Low & Middle Income Countries – Deadline for applications: 1 March 2018
Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management (Oceans and Lakes) – Deadline for applications: 31 March 2018 (Please note you first have to apply for pre-registration).
Training programmes organised in 2018 (14-90 days)
Evidence-based decision making in food safety: 15/10/2018 – 14/12/2018, deadline for applications is 15/03/2018
Modern breeding techniques of maize: 20/08/2018 – 07/09/2018, see the VLIR-UOS website for more information
I-EBQ (International training on Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Qualitative research methods): 21/10/2018 – 01/12/2018, see the VLIR-UOS website for more information
Who can apply?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________See the VLIR-UOS website for more information on the selection criteria
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________To apply for a training or Master programme, visit the website of the training or Master programme of your interest. Follow the guidelines for application for the programme as mentioned on its website. For a list of the programmes and links to the websites click here.
be a national and resident of one of the eligible countries (including South Africa) at the time of application;
• The maximum age for a Master programme candidate is 35 years for an initial masters and 40 years for an advanced masters. The maximum age for a training candidate is 45 years. The candidate cannot succeed this age on January 1 of the intake year. Please note that from 2018 onwards, age is no longer an eligibility criterion for ITP scholarship candidates. Depending on the objectives of the programme, the required knowledge of the candidates and the planned follow-up trajectories after completion of the programme, the course organizers can decide to install a selection criterion related to the age of the candidates.
• Professional background and experience: VLIR-UOS gives priority to candidates who are employed in academic institutions, research institutes, governments, social economy or NGO’s, or aim a career in one of these sectors. However, also candidates employed in the profit sector or newly graduated candidates without any work experience (for Master programmes) can be eligible for the scholarship.
• The training candidate should have relevant professional experience and a support letter confirming (re)integration in a professional context where the acquired knowledge and skills will be immediately applicable.
• A scholarship is not compatible with financial support within a VLIR-UOS funded IUC- or TEAM-project. Candidates working in a university where such projects are being organized, should submit a declaration of the project leader stating that the department where the candidate is employed is not involved in the project.
• A candidate can only submit one VLIR-UOS scholarship application per year, irrespectively of the scholarship type. As a consequence, a candidate can only be selected for one VLIR-UOS scholarship per year.
• The Master programme candidate has never received a scholarship from the Belgian government to attend a master programme or equivalent or was never enrolled in a Flemish higher education institution to attend a master programme or equivalent before January 1 of the intake year.
Documents and links