|2018 Bursary Categories|
2018 Commerce Bursaries
2018 Accounting Bursaries
2018 Agricultural Science Bursaries
2018 Computer Science & IT Bursaries
2018 Construction & Built Bursaries
|2018 Drama Bursaries|
2018 Education Bursaries
2018 Engineering Bursaries
2018 General Bursaries
2018 Government Bursaries
2018 Law Bursaries
|2018 Marketing Bursaries|
2018 Masters Bursaries
2018 Media Bursaries
2017 Medical Bursaries
2018 Music & Performing Arts Bursaries
2018 Nursing Bursaries
|2018 Pharmacy Bursaries|
2018 Postgraduate Bursaries
2018 Psychology Bursaries
2018 Safety Management Bursaries
2018 Science Bursaries
2018 Tourism Bursaries
The Swedish Institute Study Scholarships (SISS) for South Africa are being offered for South Africans to undertake Master’s degrees at Swedish universities from September 2018.
In order to apply for the scholarship, applicants must have applied to a Swedish university through the central application system, where an application fee is charged.
The Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) is offering support, including advice and payment of the Swedish university application fee to a limited number of potential scholarship applicants. Only those who will apply for admittance to a Swedish university AND for the Swedish Institute Study Scholarship are eligible.
The DHET will support up to 15 applicants with their university application fees. Selection will be done based on applicants meeting the minimum university entrance requirements, the criteria of the Swedish Institute Study Scholarship, individual need, academic merit and alignment with South African government priorities.
A Swedish university application must be submitted online AND the DHET application form with all required supporting documents must be e-mailed to us by 15 January 2018.
Who can apply?
• South African citizens in good health with a strong academic record;
• Must have Bachelor’s with Honours or equivalent and should have performed well in his/her previous studies with minimum 65% average mark achieved
• Available and eligible to study in Sweden from September 2018;
• Have applied for a Master’s degree programme at a Swedish university on a full-time basis;
• Intend to return to South Africa at the end of your studies.
• Work and leadership experience is not a requirement but will be viewed favourably.
Fields of Study
• Environmental Technology / Sustainable development
• Design (industrial Design, architecture, urban / regional planning)
• Computer Science and IT
• Gender Studies
• Public Health
What the scholarship offers
The Department of Higher Education and Training is offering support of SEK900 for the Swedish University Application Fee to up to 15 individuals who submit an application form to DHET. This fee will be paid directly to University Admissions Sweden, and not to applicants.
The Swedish Institute scholarship offers:
• Tuition fees
• Living expenses of SEK 9,000/month
• Travel grant of SEK 15,000 *
• Insurance against illness and accident
• Membership of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders (NFGL) – a platform to grow your network and experience, while in Sweden
• Membership of the SI Alumni Network after your scholarship period – a platform for further professional development and to stay in touch
*The travel grant is meant to cover flight costs and is a one-time payment for the entire scholarship period. It is only is only paid upon arrival in Sweden and is not applicable to students already living in Sweden.
No additional funding is available from the Department of Higher Education and Training.
The application process is three-fold:
1. Submit an application to Swedish universities through their central application system online by 15 January 2018. You do not need to make a payment. It is recommended that you apply for more than one programme and university to increase your chances of gaining admission.
2. Complete the DHET application for support form and attach the following documents:
• Transcripts of highest qualification
• Copy of ID
• Proof of Swedish university application
Email all the documents to SwedishScholarship@dhet.gov.za by 15 January 2018
3. Submit a Swedish Institute Scholarship application between 2 and 9 February 2018 Deadlines
NO APPLICATIONS AFTER THE ABOVE DEADLINES WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Important dates are below:
Last day for Swedish university applications to be submitted. 15 January 2018 Last day to submit a DHET application form for payment of Swedish university application fee. 15 January 2018 DHET to inform applicants of the outcome of their request for support. 22 January 2018 15 selected applicants to submit remaining documents and information to DHET including:
– a signed commitment to submit a scholarship application to the Swedish Institute,
– Swedish University Admissions login details, and
– authorisation for DHET to login on their behalf in order to pay the application fee.
25 January 2018 Last day to pay application fee/supporting documents
DHET will make the payment on behalf of 15 applicants only, who will be notified of this by 25 January 2018. Applicants not supported by DHET are free to pay for their university application and apply for the Swedish Institute scholarship on their own.
1 February 2018 Application for the Swedish Institute Scholarship 2-9 February 2018 University admission results 5 April 2018
The DHET is responsible for university application fee support only, for queries about this, send an email to SwedishScholarship@dhet.gov.za
For queries about the universities and/or course of study in Sweden, contact University Admissions in Sweden or your preferred university(ies) directly at: https://www.universityadmissions.se/intl/start
For queries about the Swedish Institute scholarship, contact the Swedish Institute at https://si.se/en/apply/scholarships/siss-south-africa/
Documents and links
DHET application form
Swedish university application link: https://www.universityadmissions.se/intl/start
Swedish Institute scholarship application link: https://si.se/en/apply/scholarships/siss-south-africa/